Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Mothering

In an effort to truly understand who I am and why I am the way that I am, I had a bit of an epiphany last night.  I was discussing how I had be treated by another person to a group of woman.  I've truly gotten over the hurt and moved on to the "they are who they are" stage.  I don't hold grudges easily, if someone has truly been horrible to me, I just avoid them and I am civil when we do end up having to be together. All of the women knew who I was talking about since she is a leader of sorts in our group.

One of the women, a mother of eight, had sympathetic consoling words for me.  I realized in that moment, that that was new experience for me.  I was being "mothered", not in a weird way, because this woman isn't my mother, but in a kind thoughtful way.  My feelings mattered, the fact that I had been hurt mattered.  Looking back, I realized that I had never been mothered that way.  I wonder if it was because I pushed my mother away, or if she just never reached out to me that way.  I do remember thinking as a young girl that my own mother spoke more kindly to the dog than she did to me.  She would have said that is because I  was hard to get along with and argumentative.  She may be right, I may have pushed her away with the way that I was.  I'm not doing that anymore, so hopefully I will have more of those comforting moments in my life.   It is an odd thing to realize that I am not used to being spoken to kindly by woman, it makes me wonder about the vibes I send out.    Maybe I'm not sending those vibes out anymore, maybe I am letting people know that it is okay to reach out to me.  I sure do hope so.

4 comments:

  1. I only know you through your comments and your blog but I'll say that your comments have always been very kind and validating...and funny sometimes too. I'm pretty sure that you are sending out the right vibes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Susie, you are very kind. Thanks for the feedback, too, sometimes it is difficult to be objective about how you are perceived.

      Delete
  2. I agree with Susie, if you ask me you're sending out good vibes. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Grace. I sure do hope I am, I'm trying to not let the bad message tapes from my upbringing play quite so much and really believe that I am sending out good vibes.

      Delete