Friday, September 21, 2012

Allowing men to be men

So, as I have finally started looking for my man, I have started looking at the men around me.  Yesterday was very much about allowing men to be men.  It started out with me arriving at work after a very good morning of bird watching.  Lots of babies still learning about how to be adults.  One of the cowboys saw me and walked in with me, as we approached the door, he took the lead and opened the door for me, stepping out the way so I could go in first.  Funny how easy and practiced that move was for him.  Lots of guys have been bullied into not doing that, some even do the walk through first and hold the door open behind them thing, clearly not this guy.  It would never have crossed his mind to do anything than what he did  Then we proceeded on with the day.   

A man who was very belligerent came in.  He had been fired from his job because of the angry way he dealt with his fellow employees.  Bad scene.  I was helping someone else when I asked him if he was waiting for me, he stormed out cussing, dropping the F bomb.  Bad scene.  I asked one of the guys what the deal was he told me the guy was waiting for me and had been sleeping in his car for two days.  Angry guy came back in and stormed out again because I didn't respond to him as he thought I should.  One of the guys went after him and talked him down, then lead him back to my office mouthing the words sorry as he proceeded the angry guy into my office.  He then stepped back and let me handle the situation, but kept his full 6 foot 5 inch frame firmly planted in the doorway with his arms crossed.  Very intimidating  He reminded the angry guy a couple of times that everybody is frustrated at this time of year. After angry guy left, he told me if I had any trouble with angry guy I should let him know, that I didn't have to deal with that.  Big boss, another big guy, told me the same thing.

Funny, in the course of about 3 hours, I interacted with three men who were just protective enough to be a safety net without stealing my authority in any way, and one "man" who probably would never have opened a door for me and clearly didn't feel the need to protect me from his anger and didn't even feel the need to apologize for cursing or the tantrum he threw.  It may be a good thing he is here, maybe he can learn a few things about controlling his temper and really acting like a man from the real men who close ranks about me.

2 comments:

  1. I remember men like that from my workplace and you said it very well. They can be protective without stealing an ounce of your authority. I'm glad you have them around you and I hope that they wear off on this other man.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kind of nice to know that chivalry is not dead, it has just morphed a bit for today's world. I do think they can change him by their example if he will just pay attention. I have seen it happen...

    ReplyDelete