Sunday, February 9, 2014

News from the dating wars

I have been dating, quite a lot actually and at times I find it fun and at other times just depressing.  Let me share some recent events.

I met a guy who seemed really nice and attentive.  We met for drinks and that went well.  On the second date, he took me to a burlesque show.  Yes, topless women, dancing.  In his defense, he expected music and hadn't been to this show before.  I told him in a text that I suspected there would be topless women.  He offered to take me bar hopping instead.  We went to the burlesque show.  I wasn't scandalized or offended but as we talked, I found out he had married his ex-wife twice and had only just settled into the job he has now.  He had been moving RVs cross country prior to that and so was away from his wife.  I told him I thought it was important to be together as a couple.  He agreed and said that was why he took the job he had.  He mumbled something about me being too classy for him when I told him that I probably wouldn't feel comfortable spending the day naked at Burning Man, which he had done.  He also asked if I would enjoy being clothed watching other people naked at Burning Man.  I said probably not.  He texted me once and when I responded to him, he thanked me, saying that he thought I wouldn't contact him again.  His next text, I didn't respond to.  I think he is right, I am probably too classy for him.

Another guy I met on-line and he has been Skyping pretty regularly.  You already know about him for a previous post.  He has a problem with "high conflict" women and coaches men in how to deal with them.  He is currently working with a man as a sober coach.  I didn't hear from him for eight days and then a text asking to Skype.  I said yes, but I can hear him playing pool while I am talking and him commenting in a low voice, while I am talking that he is making great shots.  I told him we didn't have to talk if he wanted to play pool instead.  He said no, he was just playing around.  At the end of the conversation which was mostly about him, I told him about some troubles I am fighting at work.  He listened and had few comments and then the call amazingly just ended.  He sent me a text an hour later saying he was sorry about the call ending.  I don't expect to hear from him for another eight days or so, which is okay because I think he just wants me to listen to him and not have to give me anything in return.  So, strike two on the man list

The third man I will mention is where I need your sage advice out there.  He is dd and we are very much on the same page about things.  The problem is...and is it a problem?...he is 16 years younger than I am.  He says age is not a problem for him and that the last two women he dated were also in their 40s...he is in his early 30s.  We are chatting soon, so we shall see, so my question is...do you all think an age difference matters or not?

Sigh...anybody out there have a nice, single brother or friend in his 40s who wants an intelligent, calm, gentle woman?

15 comments:

  1. Tsk. Tsk Cygnet, age is just aa number. Go have fun and find out. What have you got to loose?
    Great to hear from you again! LOVE w

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I am trying to embrace that thought...if we are right for each other then age won't matter and if we aren't right for each other then time will tell. Nothing to lose but the loneliness.... :-)

      Thanks!

      Delete
  2. Sheesh Cygnet...I agree with Willie...age is just a number...some days I'm 2, some days I'm 22, some days I'm 102 and some days, I'm all the numbers in between!

    If you and this man really connect and enjoy the same things, who cares! BTW...let me ask you this...if he was the one that was older, would you still see this as a problem? ;)

    Blessings...
    Cat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So, I have thought about the age thing, Cat. I do think it would be a problem if I was the age I am and the guy was a lot older than me, but I think part of that is just wanting someone who can keep up with me and us sharing common interests, so maybe with the right guy it would be a problem...but I'm not sure...sigh...I am just going to go with it and leave it up to the universe and chemistry to decide. :-) Thanks for your thoughts.

      Delete
  3. Hi Cygnet

    My two cents for what it is worth is go for it it's just a date to see if you like him and if you do then let the chips fall where they may.
    I know a couple she is 40 and her husband is 66 yrs old in a DD relationship and another couple he is 32 she is 41.
    I like Cat's question what would you do if it was the other way around?

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think I do need to let the chips fall where they may. If we like each other, that will become less and less of an issue, I am sure...until I am in the nursing home and he is contemplating retirement.... (grin).

      I do think I would have a problem if it were the other way around, but maybe if he was truly the right guy I wouldn't...so, I guess I will just proceed and see where it leads.

      After all, the burlesque show guy was my age, and that didn't keep him from being a bit immature, so I guess it can run the other way too...

      Delete
  4. Hi Cygnet,

    I agree with the other's. Find out whether you really connect and if you do, that is what matters. I also like Cat's question. Would you be worried if it was the other way around?

    Hugs,
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been thinking about the question, Roz, and I do think I would have a problem if I was the age I am and he was a lot older, but if he acted younger than his years, maybe I wouldn't have a problem with it. I am just going to go with it and see where it leads and then we will know. Thanks for your thoughts. I appreciate the insight :-)

      Delete
  5. Hi Cygnet! :). I'm with the rest above- if you are having fun and there seems to be a positive connection, why not see where it goes? I too like Cat's suggestion.

    I can think of two friends who are now married to guys quite a bit younger than them- they seem really happy. The maturity is what counts with the age piece. Enjoy! Many hugs,

    <3 Katie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Katie,

      Thanks and I know you are right, maturity is what matters. I am just going to have to go with it and see where it leads...I only have my loneliness to lose, right?

      Delete
  6. Sometimes I wonder what it would be to be dating. I know some great men in their 40's but they usually come with children. Both of my sisters are married to men younger then themselves as are my parents. And since women live longer than men, it will all work out in the end. Go for it and just enjoy, see where it goes and forget the age thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh, Blondie, you are lucky to not be dating. It is a war zone out there!

      I am actually okay with kids, so send them my way (lol).

      Yes, it may indeed work out in the end and I am just going to have to go with it and see where it leads. Thanks!

      Delete
  7. You know, the older I get, the more I realize age doesn't matter. I am 35, four years older than the Duke. Not a huge difference, i realize, but to me, it was. I am the oldest of four, and the Duke is the same age as my youngest sibling. But, I talked to couples with a much greater age difference, and they say it doesn't bother them. The key, is how mature they are. I don't even realize most of the time that the Duke is younger than me. It never comes up. It's like if you were one colour and your guy another, you might notice it at first, but likely, it's not going to be something you really think much on after that. And I agree, I really like Cat's question. Women live 7 years longer than men on average, and think, you can be retired while he still brings home the bacon. ;) That is what I joke with the Duke anyway. ;)

    {{{hugs}}} EsMay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I need to embrace the idea of age not mattering as much as maturity and common interests and what's important in life. He will just have to take care of me in my dotage, I suppose. He says he is okay with the age difference and has always dated women older than he is, so we shall see. Thanks for the support. :-)

      Delete
  8. Cygnet--I missed this post. I hope you had a good chat with the last guy. I can see how 16 would feel like a lot but am also hoping that you will let it play out and see what happens before letting that get in the way.

    ReplyDelete