Friday, January 11, 2013

The man in the arena

I have struggled a bit of late, trying to figure out my place in the world.  Times I have wished for many things.  Times I have prayed for less loneliness.  Times I have questioned my place in the fabric of life.  I guess we all do, no matter how accomplished or unaccomplished.  Perhaps we never know the impact of our lives on the world, except when we are old and perhaps not even then.  Perhaps we only know when we are on the other side of the veil of death and then perhaps what we achieved will not matter so much as that we strove to live as best we could.  That we stood again and again despite the stumbles. 

I call to mind a quote from Teddy Roosevelt.  It seems, he, too, asked those questions of life. I'm not sure he had an answer, but here are his thoughts:

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat."

A bit of melancholy as the year turns and as I see another birthday approaching.  But even as I write this I find myself thinking, that every day is the perfect day to start over.  I can't even hang on to a good bit of melancholy. 

Pollyanna always rears her ugly head, doesn't she?   

8 comments:

  1. Another wonderful post and a very positive way to view life's struggles. I think this is why I love "It's a Wonderful Life" so much...George had no idea how important he truly was until his angel showed him what life would be like without him. Wouldn't it be nice to have that glimpse...alas you are right...we probably won't see until we are gone, but I'm glad to be in the arena and am glad you're here too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bea. Sometimes it is just so hard being in the arena, but I don't know of anywhere else to be.

      Delete
  2. That Pollyanna is one tough gal, no problem in listening to her. The days keep moving and we have no idea when one might bring us exactly what we're looking for.

    Hugs,
    PK

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, PK, everyday is a new day and a new chance to find what you are looking for, I just wish I would find it sooner, rather than later :-).

      Delete
  3. This is beautifully written, Cygnet. I loved the image of strength and optimism that this post conjures up. I guess we never know what our legacy will be, and must rely on the mantra of one day at a time, but this sharing we do here - is a good and positive thing. Sometimes when I have a crappy day, and I read an inspiration post of a silly joke, I smile or laugh or am inspired. That person who posted will probably never know that they lifted my spirits or made me reflective - as your post just did.
    Maybe we are all just here to help each other along with whatever God places in our open hands.
    Beautiful, Sweetie
    hugs
    lillie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lillie, hugs right back. It is all about seizing the opportunities as they present themselves and as you say ease someone's burden I suppose. Open hands are sometimes a very hard thing!

      Delete
  4. ( Sorry Cygnet even though you are on my blogs that I follow list, it hasn't updated for a long time apparently).

    A beautiful post. I believe that all of us have these thoughts from time to time. The New Year has me thinking them, as does another school year for the boys. I wonder, even more so now while trying to practice ttwd, why I stumble...my mixed thoughts and emotions. If I am all I can be.

    One time when I was in a particular bad place beating myself up, I received an email out of the blue from a guy I went to high school, thanking me for making his high school years bearable through his parents divorce...etc...I remember laying on my kitchen floor for hours talking on the phone with him ( before cordless..lol). I had forgotten that. He had not. It sparked me to reach out more to people who helped me along the way no matter how small it would have appeared to them.

    You leave the most beautiful, fun and thought provoking comments on blogs. I'm sure I am not alone is saying they have helped. Not too mention our hula hoop emails ! :)

    Stumbling around makes the walk on a flat surface more enjoyable when we can. We take less for granted.

    Love
    Willie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind words, Willie. You are so fortunate to have gotten that e-mail, not many people get to see the impact they made on someone's life. I guess I'm just in the stumbling part of my journey right now, looking for the flat ground and not finding it very readily.

      Delete