Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Common courtesy

So, when did common courtesy go out the door?  I'm home, taking some off time and I come out into my backyard to find a woman and a man putting screws into my (our shared) fence because their dog can squeeze through the loose boards.  Which is a great thing, but sort of presumptuous...isn't it? Or am I way off the beam here?...You can't knock or ring the bell to tell me what you want to do?  They apologized for not ringing first, said they assumed I was at work...grrr...

I'm not sure if I should feel violated or glad...




4 comments:

  1. Hmmm? Tough one. I can see both sides of the fence on this issue..sorry I couldn't resist. I should have, but I couldn't :). I suppose they could have put a barricade on their side of the fence, and knocked on your door to see if you were indeed home. Then perhaps proceeded. But I guess it maybe a shared fence, but it is STILL your backyard. I find it difficult because I know all my neighbours well, so if they want to use my BBQ because they are out of gas, it wouldn't matter to me. Hey maybe you'll make new friends ?

    willie

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL @ Willie with the fence joke.

    I'd get a bit uptight about this too Cygnet but hopefully it'll turn out to be an opportunity to get to know them a bit better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Cygnet...I do agree that your neighbors could have checked with you...assumptions get everyone into trouble...but at least they are making an effort to keep their dog out of your yard...definitely points in their favor!

    Hope they become new friends!

    Blessings,
    Cat

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ian often accuses me of expecting others to think and act as I would. And living in the country, I am in no position to speak on the subject, but I know how I feel when hunters disregard our "no hunting" signs and when caught claim to be "tracking a wounded animal." I feel disrespected and violated.
    I think whether we are dealing with next door neighbours, or other countries and cultures we need to invoke the golden rule.
    Just my crabby, old lady opinion
    :)
    hugs
    lillie

    ReplyDelete