Friday, March 1, 2013

Respect

Today at work was an interesting one.  Today was about respect.  Now, I know that word is bandied about quite a bit in these circles.  It is discussed how respect is almost more important to a man than love.  I guess I sort of knew that in a sort of peripheral way.  It was front and center at work today.

I work for a great guy and we have a new boss who is also a great guy. They are fun, easy going, kind and thoughtful.  Today one of them got on a rant about respect.  He was right.  He had been to a meeting where he was ambushed and he thought the ambush was disrespectful. He told that to everyone who came by to discuss the occasion of the disrespect.  I guess I have always thought disrespect was most commonly shown in words or body language when two people are communicating. 

This disrespect was about hiding something and then using it as a weapon.  This disrespect was between two men (yes, I am innocent of involvement...thank goodness and also thankfully the one woman involved did the right thing and wasn't disrespectful.  She didn't hide anything).  What I realized as I listened to his anger was what that he doesn't mind bitter disagreements or not getting his way, but he doesn't like being caught off guard and not being given the chance to respond in a reasonable manner so that everybody wins.  To the guy that was disrespectful it was about a minor victory that made the small disrespectful man feel good about himself. I am sure he gloated!  To the guy he was disrespectful to, it was about betrayal.  He said he always tries to be respectful of others and he couldn't understand why the other guy was being that way. 

It was very interesting and educational to hear all those things we hear in our little blogosphere right out there on the table.  Disrespect isn't just about words and body language it is about intent and in this case it was about premeditated intent. 

When I started this blog it was about finding teachers...I think I got the Master's Course in the effects of disrespect today!

7 comments:

  1. Knowledge is everwhere if we are just smart enough to realize we always have something to learn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right Sunnygirl, sometimes the lessons come from the most unexpected places.

      Delete
  2. Disrespect is up there with lying in my book, how can you truly trust the person when they undermine your authority.
    Good post

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Bob, I think you are right. That is what my boss was communicating...and definite lack of trust in those who were disrespectful towards him. They didn't simply undermine his authority, they hung him out to dry without the slightest bit of reluctance.

      Delete
  3. Intention is everything. How wonderful that you are able to learn and grow from the experience of people around you. You are a smart girl, my friend.
    hugs
    lillie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Lillie! It is a good place that I'm in and I am learning a bunch of things after years of working alone and in solitude, it is good for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's actually amazing how much we learn from very normal situations when our heads are attuned to certain things. It is happening to me too!

    ReplyDelete