Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Feminism and Femininity

Recently Gabrielle Reece published a book called "My Foot Is Too Big For The Glass Slipper". She and her husband have been interviewed on a number of shows and the thing she is really taking the heat for is the fact that she wrote about letting her husband be in charge and her being submissive.  Gabrielle talks about empowering her man by letting him take charge.  Most of the critical comments have been about feminism and how maybe Laird should submit to Gabrielle. 

I have a lot of thoughts about this whole thing.  The first is that Gabrielle changed her tactics in how she responded to her husband and it has helped her marriage.  They have been married for 17 years and in the interviews she seemed happy and calm and in a good place.  So, what's the problem?  I don't think she was saying everyone should live that way.  I frankly don't think everyone can live that way.  Every couple needs to work out a dynamic that works for them and there are so many ways to relate to each other and as long as everyone's needs are being met and everyone is happy for the most part, why not embrace more traditional roles if it works for them?

Second, it seems that even though Gabrielle is the submissive one, she is the one that changed how she acted towards her husband.  That seems to be a reoccurring theme (lol).  The woman wanted the marriage to be better and she didn't want to divorce him (she had filed five years into their marriage) and so she changed the dynamic. She chooses to yield rather than he seizes control. When Gabrielle says she submits, I am sure that what is going through the reporters heads is that he is being some big jerk and forcing her into a relationship style that stifles who she is, but if you think about who really has all the important power...it is still the woman, which is an interesting thought.  She has the power to yield or not, because her husband will not take what is not offered.

The other thing that has been brought up is what a blow against feminism this is.  I clearly don't understand the definition of feminism, so I looked it up.  The definition is the doctrine advocating social, political, and all other rights of women equal to those of men. So, I'm not sure how choosing to yield to her husband is a violation of the tenants of feminism.  She is paid very well for what she does.  I doubt there are any doors closed to her because she is a woman.  She can vote and do what she wants with her life, even though she is a woman.  So how does her choice violate the doctrines of feminism?  When feminism started I do think woman were treated unequally and they weren't getting paid the same as men for the jobs that they did and there were more than a few male chauvinist pigs keeping woman down and feminism was a force for good, but as often happens when there is a paradigm shift, the pendulum swung way in the other direction.  Things like motherhood and staying at home and being a wife began to be scorned.  If you didn't have a job you were a traitor to the cause and I sort of get that: if a woman wasn't working, she didn't have her own money and she often didn't have a way to get out of a bad marriage.  I think many of the woman in the forefront of the movement rejected the more traditional roles because they saw them as promulgating the subjection of woman.  Being a wife and mother became a taboo thing.  I think, thankfully, the pendulum is swinging back.  I know many women who I went to graduate school with who have chosen to stay at home and raise kids. Their husbands are not complete jerks who forced them to stay home; they arrived at that decision as a couple. Their eduction allows them to freedom to stay home because they know that if they needed to end the marriage, they would still have a way to make it in the world.

Finally there is the thought that some how Gabrielle is no longer strong.  The woman is six feet three inches tall.  She is an athlete.  She contemplated divorcing her husband because of his behavior and I am sure she would get out of the marriage if it wasn't good for her.  She sounds pretty strong to me. She mentions lifting her side with the expectation that Laird will lift his side. She also says it is not about him commanding that dinner be on the table at six, but rather that she is in service to her husband the same way that he is in service to her.  She says femininity is about being soft, receptive and submissive. She likes that Laird is acting more like a man and more masculine and treating her the way she likes to be treated. She says she likes being cherished and protected.  When I read those lines I often think about the romance novels.  You know all those ones where the woman rides in to save the man, where she is independent and has no need for a man, but she saves his bacon over and over and then they ride off into the sunset with him is the passenger seat.  Yeah, I haven't read many of those novels either (lol).

One write suggested that Gabrielle likes the relationship the way it is because it "allows her to not have to be Superwoman in control all the time."  She may very well be right...I can certainly identify with that.  Gabrielle also says that the way they conduct their relationship allows Laird to feel empowered.  The reporter argues that not all men need the dynamic to feel "empowered".  I would tend to agree, but when you show a man respect and let him lead, you often see a blossoming that just can't be achieved without a woman's hand in that area. I think deep inside of every man is a knight who wants to show his lady what he can do for her and what he can achieve for her. When she respects him and yields to him and shows him how proud she is of him, he is empowered in a way that I don't think can be achieved any other way.  I would say the same for a woman.  Having a man stand behind you and encourage you and be your strong rock, empowers women in a way that women just can't be achieved on the own, even with feminism on their side.   

8 comments:

  1. I saw her on the Today show and I wondered what kind of reaction her book would elicit. She is a very strong person and didn't hesitate describing how well the dynamic is working for them and her definition of submission is definitely not "having dinner on the table at six".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you, Sunny. I wonder how she is feeling about all the attacks now. I do think she was very brave and strong to speak so honestly about her relationship and how well it works for her.

      Delete
  2. Yes Grace, leading cannot happen if there is no-one willing to be led.

    Those feminists who think women ought to be the leaders have the same one-sided outlook as those they are opposing, only in the opposite direction. In my way of seeing things, women make better followers than men, in general. It seems to be something to do with the female being the receiver and the male the giver. Yin is yin and yang is yang and they are not the same.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had not thought about how being a receiver is to some extent giving way or yielding. That is an interesting thought. I also wonder if in the distant past (or not so distant past depending on where you live) the need to work cooperatively made women good followers. There is precedent for woman banding together to accomplish something as a group.

      Delete
  3. When Ian and I first began this lifestyle, I wrestled mightily with the idea that I was betraying a world of women who still struggle to find equality. I was raised to be an independent woman. I see it now as a personal choice - I am a strong woman and I made a choice to submit to my husband, I don't think it changes how I feel about women voting or being able to educated throughout the world. Nor do I think the idea of taking feminism thought to its most absurd conclusion makes this society more enlightened.
    Just my opinion, and very interesting post, Cygnet.
    hugs
    lillie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see how you would wrestle with that, Lillie. I think I have the same mental battle. I do think you hit the nail on the head, though, as an independent woman you made a choice to submit to your husband, and in making that choice, you didn't totally eliminate your other choices. You can still choose to not submit.

      I think that feminism was originally about giving women choices, but somehow it morphed into trying to dictate to women what those choices should be. I really do think it should come down to woman having the tools and the skills and the opportunities to make the decisions that are best for them as opposed to having things forced upon them because of circumstances or society.

      Thanks, you really made me think some more about all of this.

      Delete
  4. There are two key factors in my humble opinion at play here. The first being able to have the right to choose. I chose where I am and what I am doing in my life, not because of society,( because in fact the pendulum isn't swinging back that quickly)but because I could. Ironically it is women who have the scornful comments when they find out I stay at home. The men are by no means being oppressive to me when they say, " I wish we could do that for our kids". Often they are actually referring to ONE of them, not necessarily the wife staying home.

    The second thing is equality to a man does not mean TURNING into a man. My older sister has a friend who lived through the 'burning of the bra' part of feminism. She said, this is not what I had in mind-women looking down on other women for their choices, but also young girls getting 'tough'. ( Honestly she said that to me ) Somewhere along the line girls/women began to think that they needed to act more like men in all walks of life, in her opinion. Not embracing the differences between the two genders. We in fact ARE different, on a mass scale, so why stifle that? How did feminism translate to loss of femininity over the years?

    Back to your original post. I don't see how Gabrielle is pushing back the wheel of feminism, after all she is CHOOSING. Furthermore why is everyone so up in arms? It is actually rather insulting on some levels, that if women start to 'do' this, all will be lost. For if we don't stand united on this perceived caveman like attitude women all over North America will forget that they have rights? Please.

    (ack, just reread this and it is all over the place- much like me lately I guess..LOL)
    love, willie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think feminism came a far way to allowing woman the opportunities to make choices. I am in a male dominated field. Almost everyone I work with is male (except the secretary, which is a whole post right there "woman's jobs" and men's jobs) and always has been. Even though I am in a male dominated field, I can and do still act like a woman/lady and I am still feminine. Just the other day, six guys stepped out of my way and one held the door for me so that I could go through first (which made me laugh to myself). They allow me to do my job without treating me like I can't because I am a woman. That, to me is what feminism hoped to gain. I get paid an equal amount; I got hired despite being a woman; and I kept my femininity.

    I totally agree that there is an implication that somehow being a woman and feminine is bad and to overcome this, a woman must be more like a man. Thankfully I have never had to face that. I don't know if the men I work with are just more enlightened or what....hmmm.

    When I think about it, I guess the fear is that woman will give up taking what is "rightfully theirs" and eventually every one will forget that it is "rightfully theirs"? I'm not sure. I don't fully understand why everyone is up in arms about Gabrielle, but they sure are. It sounds like she has found a good balance between achieving in her professional life and thriving in her personal life. Although, she did say you can't have it all, which is against the feminist credo...not sure, just throwing thoughts out there.

    I appreciate your thoughts, mine were a bit all over the place too :-)

    ReplyDelete