Thursday, July 10, 2014

Doveryai No Proveryai

So, now that the kerfuffle is dying down a bit...I seem to find a common theme: while many of us are saddened, shocked, surprised....pick your feeling, I find many of the comments prefaced with "I didn't know Christina or I only read her blog".  I am right there with you all.  I never e-mailed her, I mostly read her blog. So, I am wondering why it is that most of us had no contact with Christina except through her blog or through Rogue and/or Chelsea.  What exactly kept us from getting closer?  Why is it that our first thoughts were of Rogue and/or Chelsea? And as time has gone on, those thoughts are also about Blondie and Cat...and, and, and. I think that is pretty telling. 

Any of us could have fallen victim to the deceit, it's true, but as we have rallied around the people who were injured...has anyone even for a second questioned if they were real or if their stories and pain are real? Do we question if they have husband or children? I would venture to say no, because we do in our deepest selves recognize that what they are feeling and how they feel about the impact it had on their families is very real. So, I am of the mind that yes, you can be deceived by skilled liars, but ultimately most of what you read here in blogland is true.  It may be colored a bit, shaded some and worked a bit, but there is a kernel of truth in every post.

I am thinking of that Anne Frank quote "It’s really a wonder that I haven’t dropped all my ideals, because they seem so absurd and impossible to carry out. Yet I keep them, because in spite of everything I still believe that people are really good at heart. I simply can’t build up my hopes on a foundation consisting of confusion, misery, and death."

I also am calling to mind a catch phrase of Ronald Reagan's which is actually a Russian proverb that we are all probably going to be embracing a bit more firmly: "doveryai no proveryai" (trust, but verify).
 

10 comments:

  1. Great post Cygnet and very well said. Those are great quotes!

    Hugs
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Roz. I sometimes think it is very interesting to see what quotes pop into my mind at times...scary!

      Thanks for commenting.

      Delete
  2. Great thoughts cygnet, I truly believe that most people in this world are good people...flawed, but good. It may be naive but it is so much better than never trusting or believing in anyone.
    bea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Bea. I think for the most part people are doing the best they can and are hopefully learning as they go along so that they can do better. I guess I am a bit of an optimist too!

      Delete
  3. I love the Anne Frank quote. I had only emailed a few times with Christina, so I can't comment as to what it would be like to feel that distrust. I tried to imagine Lillie not being real, but I can't as I have met her, and talked to her kids, teased and hugged Ian. So based on that it is perhaps not right for me to say this, but I am not going to let this change me. I choose trust because that is who I am. Don't get me wrong, there are times red flags have been raised for me here and in face to face relationships. I have ignored the feelings and have been burned. Nothing to the degree that Rogue has, but burned nevertheless. I am not going to lie it took me a while to get over that ( I don't know how Rogue will), but I decided their deceit wasn't going to take hold of my life any further. I hope others - on the fringe at least, will be able to feel this way in time.

    Unlike many, I found Christina through Rogue not the other way around. I related to Rogue's struggles and life. Christina, was an enjoyable read, but that was all for me. Having a husband doing 'the right thing' every time wasn't something I could relate to. I am not saying I doubted her- I am saying I wasn't personally invested, beyond the human compassion that comes when life throws crud in your direction. Do I feel duped? I suppose. But like you said my emotions are directed to those I care about.

    Great post Cygnet!
    willie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think if we allowed something like this to change us to the point that we isolated ourselves and didn't trust anyone, that would be very sad...and probably more painful in the long run than being duped. I do think you should trust your gut instincts and not ignore the red flags, but I also think that life can be a risk and more often than not, the risks bring good things, not bad.

      I very much agree with your last paragraph. I wasn't personally invested because I couldn't relate, but that didn't mean it wasn't an interesting read at some level. I mostly find myself wishing that the outcome of the all of this was just different...and better.

      Delete
  4. Good post - true words. Sometimes, our words are not what others read and vice versa .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True...the written word can be misinterpreted and for that matter so can the spoken word because human interactions are messy...LOL. I guess you already knew that though!

      Delete
  5. Love the Anne Frank quote!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I often wonder what Anne Frank would have been like as an adult. I am also mindful that had she not died as she did, we would not ever have seen her beautiful words and I am not sure how I feel about that...

      Delete