Saturday, January 17, 2015

Trying

I am trying so hard to keep my resolutions, but I had something happen at work that I am not so sure about.  I was trying so hard to do the right thing, but I'm not sure if I succeeded.

I work with college students and with a group in particular.  The student who is heading it up has a tremendous amount of baggage and has basically been controlling and angry and difficult her whole tenure.  It finally came to a head when she didn't show to a meeting and I had all the other students in the group working on something.  She came in an hour late and decided she knew what was going on and then stewed about it for three weeks before coming to the next meeting and going ballistic.  I drew the fire because I am the advisor.  I talked her down, but I didn't tell her what I thought about her accusations and outburst. One of the officers left and later told me she doesn't feel safe coming to the meetings.  Another person heard it, in another office, told me she had heard it and said she thought I handled it like a real adult.  She took the college student into her office and told her that the way she acted was unacceptable: cursing at me, questioning my integrity, honesty and motives.  The student tried to explain what I had done and the other person stopped her saying it didn't matter what I had done.  She admitted to being embarrassed.

Well, I finally told her my thoughts on the matter (about a week later, when we were both calm, although I never lost my temper) when things were calmer.  I told her I thought she acted very unprofessionally and explained what she had seen.  She just shrugged and said she was hurt by my actions and that may be valid, but I still think her response was over the top and unnecessary, so I didn't apologize.  I was within my rights to do what I did, even if it hurt her.  In a moment of weakness, I wanted to build up another officer and probably didn't do it the best way I could have, but still...

The other people who work with this college student who is 40 years old have come forward and asked me what they can do (including offering to talk to her) and also have mentioned that they are not going to give her any recommendations because of her behavior.  In her defense, she has been abused, she wears a plate of teeth because her second husband knocked them out.  She was also in a tragic accident two years ago, that she regularly brings up to some how justify her actions.  I am not the only one to have to deal with her actions, but I am the one who has caught it the worst.  Her temper tantrum was scorched earth time and she was so loud that she could be heard around the building. I am sure she is demeaning my reputation far and wide, but she will be gone the end of March and I am just riding it out. 

I guess I am just trying to figure out if I should have spoken to her about her unprofessional behavior and that screaming and cursing are not the way to handle conflict.  I also mentioned to her that the other students are afraid to do anything because of that anger.  They are all just stepping back and waiting for her to tell them what to do.  I am still trying to run interference, but I, too am stepping back. 

I see there is a lot of pain there and that is what caused her to lash out....not just pain from my actions, but pain from all that she has been through.  She obviously needs some help learning to express her emotions in a more healthy way, but at this point I think she is too much in victim mode to be able to see that.  I don't know if I did more harm than good....sigh.

12 comments:

  1. I am sorry to read that you've had such a rough time with this student Cygnet. I am so tired of the "I'm a victim so nothing is my fault" attitude...basically an excuse for their bad behavior. Yes, I do know what I am talking about because I have been through more in my life than most would have been through in 5 lifetimes but that still doesn't give me the right to lash out and be mean and hateful to others. None of this is your fault and I don't see how you could have done any harm...she's doing it to herself...the victim mode is not healthy for anyone. Hang in there sweetie.

    Hugs and Blessings...
    Cat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind thoughts, Cat. I agree and the thing about this particular student is that it takes a bit of time to see how much she brings up the poor me thing. It is almost like her whole world is now informed by that accident. She is still having to have surgeries to take care of her injuries, but she defines herself as victim. What do you think pushes people to give themselves permission to behave so badly when others don't despite all the difficulties that life may throw at them? I tried to speak the truth in a caring manner, but I am pretty sure she didn't receive it that way. I am hanging in there and hoping that before she leaves she at least gets some idea of how her attitude is holding her back and how if she doesn't do something about it, she will never be as successful as she could have been. Thanks for the hugs and the blessing I can really use those!

      Delete
  2. You're the advisor. Please, do not step back; the other students need you. If they do not feel safe, take whatever steps are necessary to rebuild their safe environment, even if it means having the "problem childe" (yes I know she's 40) permanently removed by campus security. yes, I know it is drastic, but she cannot be allowed to intimidate you or your other students.

    College is part of the adult world. All involved must subscribe to and live up to that reality (says the professor with 25 yrs exp.).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, yes she is a problem child and the other person who heard the tantrum did consider having her thrown out of the building. By stepping back, I meant that there are things that need to be accomplished. I have stepped back on that and if she wants to get them done, she is going to have to do them herself. Yes, it will affect our rating, but ultimately we get a new rating every year based on what was done that year and we can start fresh. It will affect her year and she is very driven to succeed, but she was not a good leader and she didn't inspire people to work together, so she is reaping what she has sewn and our rating will reflect that. It is a rating that in the greater scheme of things means nothing, except for a feel good thing. At least at some level I am hoping she will see there are consequences for being a bully and abusive.

      She doesn't intimidate me as much as she makes me tired. My only goal at this point is to just keep her from doing more damage to the other students and I have in essence told them they DO NOT have to deal with her and anything they don't want to do they are excused from. They know I am supportive of them and what they want to accomplish and they also know that I will protect them as best I can.

      I really like what you say about college being part of the adult world and I appreciate you reiterating that should I need them, there are bigger guns that can come into play. I hope I don't need to resort to that, but I will if I have to. Thanks for the level headed advice coming from the 25 years of experience. :-)

      Delete
  3. Hi Cygnet, I'm sorry you are having a difficult time with this student. I too have difficulty with people who play the victim and offer excuses. It sounds as though everyone else is well aware of her behavior and struggles to deal with her.

    It sounds to me as though you handled the situation well. I think she needs someone to help her, but the other students also need someone to ensure they feel safe.

    Sending positive thoughts your way in dealing with the situation.

    Hugs
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Roz. I appreciate your kind words. I worry that people just let her steam roll them and that she ultimately gets her way because of that. The world is going to be very rough on her.

      Thankfully, she is no longer in a position of leadership and I have intentionally met with each of the other students over coffee to be sure they are okay and they are, so I guess things are all right and getting better.

      Thanks for the positive thoughts!

      Delete
  4. I think they are her problems and not yours. You should not have to be abused, verbally, physically or emotionally and I think you should stop second guessing yourself and move forward.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Ma'am moving forward! LOLOLOL

      You are very right and I have let it all go. Thanks!

      Delete
  5. You did what you thought was best. No looking back, let her deal with this now

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very right and I hope she will deal with it at some point. Life is only going to get tougher for her ever day she doesn't deal with it.

      Thanks Blondie. I am not looking back, just forward.

      Delete
  6. Hi Cygnet, :)

    What a tough situation you have there. I'm thinking that you did the very best that you could. It is very hard to deal with people who are after their own agenda, without regard for the feelings of others around them. It is even more difficult when someone plays the victim, and then uses it to lash out and hurt others, thinking that they are justified or that life owes them something. Hurting people in any way, shape or form is wrong. This student needs to change her ways. I'm so sorry that it has come into your teaching space.

    I think that what has been said above is correct. Your other students need you. Sounds like this student does need help, but not at the expense of the others. And in reality, when someone is like that, perhaps the fallout- the natural consequences of the behavior is the most important learning thing that they might come across. In turn, perhaps then it will help them to really see what they are doing and make some changes. I don't know...

    Sending big hugs to you Cygnet! Stay strong and know that we are thinking of you! Hope there is smoother sailing ahead. Many hugs,

    <3 Katie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am staying strong and I am reaching out to the other students who are wanting to be involved now that her leadership time is over. I made a point of meeting with them and seeing what they wanted to do from here and I was pleased that they aren't letting her behavior stop them and I've decided that neither am I! Thanks for the hugs and the wise words.

      Delete