Sunday, December 30, 2012

Ripples in the Pond

I have spent a lot of time talking about Les Miserables recently.  I have read the book and seen the musical, but have not yet seen the movie (despite the presence of Hugh Jackman...be still my heart!).  I talked to an Australian missionary on the plane about it the other day and then I heard a sermon this morning about the movie and its themes. 

But what I find myself thinking the most about is ripples in the pond and how you can never know how one simple act on your part can greatly affect another person.  In Les Miserables the fact that a priest lied to the police about Jean Val Jean stealing from him affected Jean Val Jean for the rest of his life, and caused him to change entirely how he was living. 

Have you ever had people come back and tell you about conversations that you had with them that you have long forgotten?  I have, it is rather humbling to think that they remember your words so clearly: words that you have forgotten.  Do we ever really think about the power we have with our words? In the blog world that is hugely obvious.  If you have a blog, don't you look forward to people's comments?  Don't you hope to see that you sharing your thoughts made a connection with someone else?  We have the power with our words to lift people up or push them down.  How many of us remember the harsh words of a parent or a teacher? Many of us are still reaping the rewards of those words for good or for ill?  I think we all subliminally realize that our words have power, if we didn't, then why are the mean comments that are made usually anonymous?

Marlo Thomas wrote a a book called "The Right Words at the Right Time." Famous people remembered words that changed their lives and not all of them were positive, uplifting words. Marlo Thomas remembers telling her father that she wanted to change her name from Thomas so she wouldn't be associated with him.  He told her that thoroughbreds wear blinders so they can't see the other horses.  He told her to "Run your own race, baby."

Do we ever really think about the power we have with our actions?  Simple thing like having patience with someone when they are struggling.  Letting another car out in front of you even though they roared past you to try and jump the line. How about asking the irritating person you work with to a party you are throwing because you know they'll be alone otherwise?

Although I am not a Buddhist, I find I think often on a verse I read once from “A Guide to the Bodhisattva’s Way of Life” by Shantideva, a Buddhist master.

For as long as space endures
And for as long as living beings remain
Until then may I too abide
To dispel the misery of the world.

I am coming to realize that everyone will dispel the misery of the world with simple acts and that misery will be dispelled often without us even seeing our part in it and perhaps that is how it should be.


10 comments:

  1. Very thought provoking post. So many of your thoughts and words ring true.

    So many times when someone comes into my life for a brief period of time I have always learned the reason for meeting them. I am sure there have been times when I have that same effect on others. We are our brother's keeper whether we like it or not.

    Anyway, I enjoyed your post. Wishing you a wonderful New Year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right, Sunnygirl! Sometimes those brief encounters are so important to us or to others. Your comment about being our brothers keeper is so true. It is just so hard sometimes to remember that!

      Happy New Year to you!

      Delete
  2. Very good post Cygnet. My life has definitely been changed (good and bad) by people's words and I doubt if they even know it. :) I have "The Right Words at the Right Time" on my 'to read' list for 2013 and now I'm even more anxious to read it.

    You are so right, simple, positive acts by each of us can help dispel misery and make the world a better place.

    Thank you for posting such lovely thoughts. Wishing you a wonderful and blessed New Year.

    Blessings,
    Cat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That power to change others lives is kind of scary, isn't it? At least it is to me! I think you'll really enjoy "The Right Words at the Right Time." I'd love to hear which stories resonated with you. Happy New Year!

      Delete
  3. Beautiful post cygnet! Well said...I need to remember this when I am stressed or upset...you can't put words back. If everyone would use words for good...imagine what the world would be like:)
    Happy New Year!
    Bea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a friend once who took newspaper clippings for every time someone's words got them in trouble (grin). I think she did it for two weeks and had quite a stack. It was a good reminder. It would be nice if she could make such a stack for when people used their words for good.

      Happy New Year!

      Delete
  4. Amazing thoughts! It's so true, simple, positive acts can make things right.
    I really love what you have to say,
    reading this makes me think about my struggle with words -Words are so completely complicated at times, and then flow easily at others.. They have so much power and they can also reduce a fellow human to tears.
    I hope that I can remember your post in the new years because I have a lot to think about and a lot to curb in my actions.

    It's funny how life and it's complications can make you forget the simple things - actions, words and being mindful.

    I hope you have a wonderful New Years Cygnet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find it so hard, Emi, to just take a moment and consider instead of just reacting. You are so right about words being complicated things and so often they can be misinterpreted. I'm going to be working on this in the new year too!

      Have a Happy New Year!

      Delete
  5. As a teacher, I am so very aware of this. Often I do find it terrifying, I try to be positive and supportive to my students, but there are days that I know I fall short. I do try thought. Out here I try hard to be supportive, I have the time to think about what I'm going to say and I will never understand those who take the time to write hateful negative comments. I hope your new year is wonderful!

    Hugs,
    PK

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very right, PK. Teachers can have such on impact on their students, especially young students. I think the fact that you are aware of it probably does make you consider your words carefully.

      I also agree that it is so much easier to be mindful of our words in a written format because we can delete if they don't sound right. Wouldn't it be great if we had a backspace key for our mouths :-).

      Delete