Sunday, December 2, 2012

The moment when the mask drops

I am sure that most everyone has seen Susan Boyle's audition on Britains Got Talent. Her voice is beautiful, but I find I am more moved by the looks on the judge's faces.  I think it might best be described as joy.  So often in the world people hide their emotions.  They put up a mask of indifference; they don't want to be judged as uncool or not fitting in.  Susan Boyle is supposed to be ridiculed, her appearance requires it, but within moments her voice over powers all that conditioning and the emotions arise unfettered and it is a beautiful thing to see. 

To watch Simon Cowell, who is normally quite cynical and fairly harsh, with a smile of joy on his face, practically brings me to tears every time.  The moment when the mask drops away and he is simply basking in her talent is amazing.  How often in life do we get to witness that moment?  That moment at 1:42 when he can't hold back the joy and amazement of what he is witnessing.  His face becomes innocent and open and the age falls away.

I find myself wondering if the reason it is so powerful and the emotions can't be held back is because she is so unattractive, that the judge's expectations are low.  How can someone so unattractive have anything beautiful to offer the the world...and then she opens her mouth...that unexpected window into the souls of the jaded, Hollywood-toughened judges could have only been achieved by someone like Susan Boyle.  

That unexpected moment of beauty found in the most unexpected place is perhaps not so rare as we might think, the problem is that we don't give the unexpected place a chance to reveal its beauty.  That, I think, is the lesson that people like Susan Boyle can teach us. 

Susan Boyle


6 comments:

  1. Wonderful post! I watched that clip over and over when it first came out but your description of the unexpected and the joy in the judges' faces is an excellent description.

    We do tend to give a pass to the attractive and add extra hurdles for the unattractive. I catch myself doing it all the time and it makes me feel horrible.

    Makes me wonder how many other gems I've missed out on.

    Thanks for a thought provoking post!



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've watched it over and over again too, Celeste! I worry about the missed gems in my life a lot...

      Delete
  2. I too go back and watch this every now and then and I'm brought to tears of happiness each time. I also like the way she nearly walked off the stage at the end before hearing from the judges. In her mind she did what she came for - she sang and won over the audience.

    Hugs,
    PK

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was cute the way she walked off stage, wasn't it? She did what she came for: she proved them wrong for prejudging her.

      Delete
  3. I had heard about this but don't watch much TV so I hadn't seen it. Thanks Cygnet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you got to see it, Susie. It is just such a wonderful clip. She eventually did get to sing with Elaine Page and that was nice to see, but it didn't provide quite the emotional punch that this clip did.

      Delete