Friday, November 30, 2012

Fathering children who are not your own

The end of the semester is at hand....yipeeee!  I am free for a bit of the young people (almost adults) with whom I work.  There is a lot of fathering going around here though as the semester comes to and end.  I guess in this scenario, I am the mother. 

One of the many fathers around here, chewed out a student who is quite immature who hadn't been coming to class.  He told me he did this after he heard from me that the student wasn't coming to my class.  Not sure if said student will be straightening up, but he did come to class for a while...no sign of him today. 

Father number 2, scolded a student for turning in late work and not all of it.  He gently asked her if she remembered the discussion that they had had at the beginning of the semester about things she needed to do to over come some of her difficulties with school, then he mercifully let her leave his office.  She left pretty quickly after a comment from him about it being really difficult for her to pass given circumstances.  Father number two also said he had defended me to his class because I didn't give them credit for partly finished work.  I had covered his classes a couple of times. 

Father number three, one of the cowboys, was explaining to another student what his role as a teacher was and why he was there.  Mostly about it being his job to help them learn about how to get horses to cooperate.  All three of the fathers have children of their own.  Pretty lucky children I would say and pretty lucky students, even though the students probably wouldn't say that.

I find, yet again, I liking swimming in the sea of positive testosterone that flows so freely about me. 

2 comments:

  1. I love watching men do these sort of things. It's especially sweet with young kids to pair little guys and gals who don't have active dads in their lives with men who take an interest. They are thirsty for that attention. I love to sit back and watch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so right, Susie. I wish that it happened more often, there are a lot of kids who could use that positive male attention. It is a pretty cool thing to watch when happens. The students with whom we work need to be held accountable and for it to be noticed when they aren't meeting their obligations. I am glad to see it happens in a positive way.

    ReplyDelete