Sunday, January 1, 2012

Cut the Rope!

So, today is the first day of the year..out with the old and in with the new!  I have been watching Hoarders lately.  It is very inspirational.  I know that some people get inspiration from weight loss shows and others from home decorating shows, but when I see all the things that people have collected over the course of a lifetime, I am motivated to throw out things!

I recently moved and moving almost 9,000 pounds of STUFF made me nauseous!  I have boxes in the garage (luckily I have a three car garage) and I just want to have everything put away or given away.

I am reminded of a scene from the movie, "The Mission".  Robert DeNiro plays a conquistador.  He has brutalized the town and the native peoples.  He decides to become a Jesuit and in penance he puts all the things he has stolen from people into a net and drags it up the mountain to the mission.  It nearly pulls him off a cliff several times and he needs help from Jeremy Irons climbing the waterfall, but he finally gets to the mission.  He is immediately recognized by one of the indians, who puts a knife to his throat.  The indian curses and him and threatens him and then reaches round and cuts the rope attaching Robert DeNiro to all those things.  The net bounces away carrying all that stuff he dragged up the mountain.  I really like the symbolism of that. There is so much we carry around unnecessarily and I guess sometimes we need somebody who will cut the rope for us.  

Today is the day to cut the rope and let it all go.  Let all the things I've collected, inside and out, go.  So, I am going to remember hoarders and get rid of the objects I don't need.  I am going to lose the extra weight I am carrying around and don't need and I am going to let go of all the hurts and trials I have carried.  I am going to embrace that line from Brad Paisley's song "When I Get Where I'm Going"..."I will shed the sins and struggles I have carried all these years."

2 comments:

  1. I have been staring at our unpainted walls and unnecessary clutter this past week and it is bugging me. I will take up the challenge and fix it this year. Ask me in December okay?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I will ask you in December as long as you return the favor! Check out Hoarders, it is really inspirational...like really, really inspirational!

    ReplyDelete